Thursday, February 7, 2008

Most Amazing Meat Balls


I made these for Tim about a month ago, and they were a huge hit. SO GOOD. I'm not sharing my marinara recipe, but I'll provide one for you, or you can just grab a jar off the shelf at Safeway or where'er.

One and a half pounds of lean ground beef
One egg
A shake or two of ground red pepper
Garlic
Three tablespoons diced onion
A dash of parsley
One cup Italian bread crumbs
Four shakes Worcestershire sauce
Provolone cheese, sliced or in cubes. Cubes will be easier, but I used slices. I just had to tear them into manageable pieces.
Olive oil

Preheat oven to 425F. Combine meat, egg, red pepper, garlic, onion, parsley, bread crumbs, and Worcestershire in a mixing bowl. I used a wooden spoon to mix it all together. Pull a palmful of the mixture into your hand. Nest some cheese in the middle and form a ball. Place on a nonstick cookie sheet brushed with a little olive oil. This makes about 16 meatballs. Bake until cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes.
Difficulty: 3. Any idiot can mix things in a bowl and then put it in his hand.

A Quick Marinara Recipe (not my amazing homemade recipe)
2 Tablespoons EVOO
Garlic
A little red pepper
Two cans diced tomatoes or tomato sauce
Basil
Oregano
Parsley

Warm the evoo in a pan over medium heat, and toss everything else in. Mix, simmer, and let heat until ready to serve.

Spoon sauce over the meatballs and serve on a sub. SO good!

The boring stuff:
Difficulty: 3
Takes about half an hour. Maybe 45 minutes.
Makes 12-ish meatballs.

No comments: