Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Mac 'n' Cheese Casserole

OMG YUM. This is a recipe that is SO good and SO easy that not even my dear brother could mess it up.
2 cups uncooked macaroni
1/2 stick butter
2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 inch square baking pan. Fill a large pot with water and add some salt. Bring to a boil and add the macaroni. Cook until soft; about ten minutes. Drain well, return to the pot. Add butter and stir until melted. Add 2 cups of the shredded cheese and mix. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with the milk. Add milk mixture to the macaroni and stir until well combined. Spoon into greased pan. Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese on top. Bake at 350F, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until the cheese has melted and browned and the casserole is cooked through.
See? Simple, right? Now I'll tell you what I did. I used only a cup and a half of sharp cheddar because I had about a quarter cup of provolone and an eighth-cup of cream cheese that I tossed in. I also only used three tablespoons of butter. And I think the recipe would be just fine with only one egg. And it might be wise to use margarine on this one instead of butter....heart health is important.
Note to Brad: DO NOT use the Mexican blend Dad gets. It will taste very weird. Go to Safeway and get a bag of sharp cheddar (a single bag is about two cups) and call me if you run into trouble.
Note to everyone else: I had the tail end of a package of large macaroni and a new package of small macaroni and I just mixed them. It was fine. Don't be scared of making adjustments as needed!
The boring stuff:
Difficulty: 2. Seriously. So easy. Gets a 2 only because you have to crack an egg.
Serves about four.
It'll take about an hour, but only because water takes so long to boil.

No comments: