Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Chicken Mac Casserole


Chicken. As much as you think you want. One or two sliced breasts should do it for every two people.
Cooked macaroni. Two or three cups should do.
Three teaspoons butter or margarine.
Garlic. Lots.
One quarter cup of chopped/diced onion.
One quarter cup on flour.
Two cups evaporated milk.
10-12 ounces sharp cheddar, grated.
Salt
Half a teaspoon dry mustard.
Pepper
One egg.

(I always use butter when I'm cooking, never margarine. But if you want to, I suppose you can substitute what makes you happy.)

Cook the chicken. It doesn't need to be completely done, but I get paranoid about those kind of things, so I always make sure mine's cooked all the way through. Melt the butter and
add garlic and onion. Sautee until the onion is clear. Combine the flour and half a cup of the milk, stirring until smooth. Add to pan. Add remaining milk to pan. Add cheese slowly, then add about a teaspoon of salt, pepper to taste, and mustard. Add the egg. Mix into a casserole dish with the macaroni, and bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes.

I always use lots more cheese, because I'm a sucker for cheddar. I also like to top the casserole with fresh cheese about five minutes before I pull it out. Yummy!

The boring stuff:
Difficulty: 2. It's really not that hard. It just has a lot of ingredients.
Takes at least an hour because you have to cook the noodles and the chicken.
Serves 6-8.

No comments: