Saturday, August 7, 2010

PW's Chili



Do you know about The Pioneer Woman? She's awesome and I love her. I bought her cookbook months ago when it came out, but I'm sorry to say that I hadn't actually tried one of the recipes from it until now. (Although there are several recipes included in the book that she posted on her blog first, and I've tried--and loved--many of those.) The biggest reason (besides my lactose intolerance, and her penchant for milk products) is that the cookbook is gorgeous, and I didn't want to get anything gross on it. But I digress.

I made her chili tonight, and it was superb. I hate to say it, but it's almost better than my dad's chili. Try it! Love it! Do it now!

You will need:

A pound of ground beef
Two cloves of garlic, minced
One teaspoon salt
One teaspoon oregano (PW says ground, all I had was dried)
One tablespoon ground cumin
Two tablespoons chili powder
A dash of red pepper, if you like
8 ounce can of tomato sauce (all I had was puree)
Fritos

Optional: diced onion, jalepenos, beans, tomatoes, and so forth.

Combine all your spices into a small bowl.




Toss the beef and garlic in a pot and cook till brown, then drain most of the fat.

One of the things I've learned from my years of reading PW is that you should never panic if you're missing an ingredient or two. Just make do with what you have. The recipe calls for tomato sauce, but all I had was this can of puree, so I used that. And really, when it comes to canned tomato products, they're pretty much all interchangeable. So, toss in the tomato sauce and the spices, stir, and let it simmer for about an hour (this is probably a good time to throw in any extra ingredients).


I didn't have an hour for simmering. I had 15 minutes. But it was still ridiculously delicious. And so much quicker when it's not simmering for an hour!

Serve on a bed of Fritos and sprinkle with cheese. YUM!


Serves four.
Takes about 20 minutes, plus simmering time.
Difficulty: 2.

No comments: