Saturday, May 23, 2009

Graduation Day Breadsticks

In honor of the graduation of one Mark W. Truax, future POTUS, I offer you this recipe for breadsticks. (Note: I halved the recipe to begin with, because I only needed to feed myself and Tim. If you make the whole recipe (which is what I'm giving you), you'll end up with more dough than in the pictures.)

One and a half cups of lukewarm water
Three tablespoons of olive oil, plus more for drizzling
One and a quarter teaspoons of salt
Three and a half cups of all-purpose flour
One tablespoon yeast
Italian seasoning and grated Parmesan, for sprinkling

Lightly grease a cookie sheet and drizzle about two tablespoons of olive oil. (I think this is much more than two tablespoons.)
Combine all of the ingredients and beat on high speed for a minute. The batter should be fairly sticky.
Scoop it onto the pan and spread it out as close to the edges as you can. Oiling your fingers helps. My dough tore in the middle and I couldn't get it to smoosh back together. Oh well. I wasn't trying to impress anyone.Use a pizza cutter or a knife to score the dough into the size and quantity of breadsticks you want. Cover and let rise for an hour. My dough didn't rise at all, so my breadsticks turned out more like ciabatta. Whatever, they were still good. Preheat oven to 375F.Drizzle the dough with a little olive oil, sprinkle with seasonings and Parmesan, and bake for 25 minutes.Remove the pan to a cooling rack. As soon as you can handle the dough, pull it apart along the lines. You might need a knife or scissors to help you. Turn the breadsticks on their sides and put back in the oven for 5-8 minutes to get a little crunchy and crispy. If your dough didn't rise, like mine, they'll be tasty and delicious just the way they are.Takes about an hour and a half.
Makes as many bread sticks as you want, basically.
Difficulty: 2

For dipping, I put a little (3 tablespoons) of olive oil in a tiny bowl and added a tablespoon of minced garlic, one teaspoon of black pepper, one teaspoon of red pepper, and half a teaspoon of kosher salt. It was divine.

No comments: