Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Recipes from Mom: Ham and Cheese Roll-ups

On a recent trip I took home, I went through the oodles and boxes and swamps and piles and mountains and stacks and days of recipes collected over the last 30 years by my mom and dad. I came away with a couple good ones to try. This recipe is one I remember from childhood, so I couldn't wait to try it out.

This is more or less what they look like. Uncooked.

Two cups Bisquick
One cup shredded cheese, your choice
Half a cup of water
Mustard or mayo, or both.
Six ounces thinly sliced cooked smoked ham

Mix Bisquick and water until dough forms. Shape into a ball and knead fifteen times on a flour-covered surface. (I recommend you put a sheet of tinfoil on a cookie sheet, grease and flour it, and use that as your kneading/rolling surface.) Roll into rectangle and spread with mustard/mayo. Sprinkle on the cheese, and then cover with the ham. Trust me. Don't put the cheese on top. Roll up tightly long-ways. Wrap in a slice of greased and floured tinfoil (see?) and refrigerate at least 30 minutes. Heat oven to 400F. Cut into twelve slices, place on a greased and floured cookie sheet. Bake until golden, 20-25 minutes.

For the love of Mike, grease and flour everything. I spent twenty minutes trying to get these things off the pan because I didn't grease and flour. And I learned from my mistake.

The boring stuff:
Takes a little more than an hour, start to finish, including chilling and baking time.
Difficulty: 3.
Serves three-four people. I think this actually works better as a snack than a meal, but that's just me.


Update 2013: When I make these now, I use refrigerated pizza dough, I get thick-sliced ham from the deli counter and cube it, and I line my baking sheet with parchment paper.  Super simple, super yummy.

No comments: