Monday, March 17, 2008

Spaghetti Carbonara


This recipe is adapted from my dad. This is his other signature dish (the first being regular spaghetti); he made this all the time when I was growing up and now he makes it probably every other time I come home to visit. My dad learned this from my mom, who used plain yogurt in hers (ewwww), and I learned it from him. Tasty, simple, hearty, easy. Perfect!

Spaghetti, or any other kind of pasta you want to use.
Garlic, lots
Parmesan or Romano, grated, and lots
One egg
One tablespoon butter
Pepper, lots
Bacon, chopped, or ham, diced.

Notice how there's basically no measurements? I'm trusting you to adjust quantities according to how many people you're trying to feed. For Tim and I, I used six or eight slices of bacon. Dad always uses ham, and he feeds 3 or 4 people with lots of left overs. He uses regular sliced deli ham, probably six or eight slices, and just cuts it up nice. Use your best judgment. I trust you.

If you're using bacon, be sure to cook it first.

Boil your water and cook your spaghetti. Drain it and return to the pan. Toss in your egg and butter and stir until mixed and melted. Add the cheese and garlic and stir until evenly coated. Sprinkle pepper over the top and serve. Yum.

The boring stuff:
Difficulty: 2
Serves as many as you want it to.
Takes about 40 minutes, depending on how quick your water boils.

No comments: