Thursday, March 20, 2008

Oooh, Mini Quiches!


Aha! A vegetarian-friendly recipe, at last! (Take that, Smellen!) I made these for a friend about a week ago for girls' night (because I always think of quiche as a decidedly girly food), and they were pretty tasty. Also, totally easy.

One package of filo pastry cups (available in the frozen foods section, probably right next to the desserts).
Two eggs
Cheese, shredded, whatever kind you like.
Salt and pepper, to taste.
Fillings. I used bacon and broccoli. I imagine any other veggie might taste nice as well. Perhaps mushrooms or bell peppers or fresh tomato.

Preheat your oven to 350F.

Chop up your fillings into very small pieces. Remember, these are very tiny quiches! Scramble your eggs in a bowl. Lay out your pastry cups on a cookie sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Carefully carefully, assemble your quiches thusly: a pinch of cheese, a pinch of filling, and another tiny tiny pinch of cheese. Using a spoon, fill the rest with egg. Repeat until all quiches are filled. Salt and pepper the tops, and carefully carefully (so as not to spill) put them in the oven. They'll need to bake for 10-15 minutes. Give the cookie sheet a jiggle to check for firmness. If the egg sloshes, it's not done.

I served these with salad and melon boats.* I think a little pasta might have been nice as well.

The boring stuff:
Serves one person for every 6-7 quiches you have. The pastry cups I bought were available in packages of 15. Adjust accordingly. (Also, if you have more than one package, be sure to use more egg as well or you will run out.)
Difficulty: 2.
Takes about 20 minutes to prepare, plus baking time.

*Melon boats:
1 cantaloupe.
1 pint of sorbet, I used raspberry.
Fresh berries, if they're in season.

Slice the cantaloupe into sections and place each section in a bowl. Top with a scoop or two of sorbet and a handful of berries, if you can get them. As it's March, fresh berries just don't exist. And I wasn't willing to use frozen berries in my home.

Like I said, this is a very girly dinner.

No comments: