Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Baked Chicken Strips



At long last, my return to the food blogosphere! My apologies for the long hiatus; our move-in date kept getting pushed back, but my kitchen was already packed. At any rate, we are now in the new house, and I've made my first new recipe. Enjoy!

You will need:
Chicken pieces (I used tenders, but you can use legs, thighs, wings, whatever)
Six pieces of your favorite bread
Buttermilk
Salt & pepper
One whole clove of garlic
Olive oil

In a large bowl, toss your chicken with the salt and pepper and about half a pint of buttermilk. Set aside to marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes to half an hour while you get everything else ready.



Preheat your oven to 425F. (I left my bread out all day to get a little stale, but you definitely don't have to. It's all about preference.) Tear your bread into manageable sized pieces, and toss into a food processor with the clove of garlic. Pulse until you get crumbs. Easy!





Dump the crumbs onto a baking sheet and use your fingers to toss with about three tablespoons of olive oil. Bake for 8-12 minutes until toasty and delicious, tossing twice. Transfer the crumbs to a large bowl.







Place a wire rack on a baking sheet. Working quickly, let the excess buttermilk drip off the chicken, and dredge in the bread crumbs, pressing firmly to adhere. Bake the chicken for 20-40 minutes (depending on if you have bones or not) until golden brown and oh-so good. We had it with sliced veggies and it was delicious. Of course, I liked it more than Tim did, but he's a stinky boy and always likes things better when they're doused in fat.



Enjoy!

Takes about an hour, start to finish.
Feeds four.
Difficulty: 2.





No comments: