Monday, May 19, 2008

Chocolate Cake

So, those cupcakes I made last week? Well, they were pretty good, but I thought they were almost too...cakey. So for my second batch, I tossed in some chocolate chips. That lightened it up pretty well, but I still thought they were too dense, dry, and cakey. So I decided I needed a new recipe. My friends...this is the most amazing cake recipe ever. Simple. Delicious. Perfectly moist. Make it now. (Check out the original recipe @ thepioneerwoman.com)

You will need flour, sugar, butter, eggs, baking soda, salt, buttermilk, cocoa powder, vanilla, and water. There's some other stuff in that picture, but it's for the frosting that I didn't make. I went with ganache because it's simple and delicious, and oh-so pretty.


Melt two sticks of regular, salted butter in a large pan. While it's melting, put a cup of water on to boil.

Add four heaping tablespoons of cocoa powder.

Mix thoroughly.

Add the water. Mix. Let it bubble for thirty seconds. Remove from heat and set it aside.

In a large bowl, combine two cups flour, two cups sugar, and a quarter teaspoon salt.


Pour in the chocolate mixture, and stir together slightly to cool the chocolate.


Combine two beaten eggs, half a cup of buttermilk, a teaspoon of vanilla, and a teaspoon of baking soda. Stir together, and add it to your chocolate and stuff.

Stir together, and add it to your chocolate and stuff. Then stir that.

When it's mixed thoroughly, pour it into your cookie sheet, two cake pans, or muffin tins. My guess is that you have enough for one sheet cake, a two-layer eight-inch cake, or two dozen cupcakes. (I definitely made the two dozen cupcakes. And I definitely ate three today. And they were definitely delicious.)

Cook at 350F for about twenty minutes. Cool, frost, and devour.

The boring stuff:
Takes about twenty minutes, plus twenty minutes baking time.
Difficulty: 2.
Makes twenty-four cupcakes.

No comments: