Friday, May 30, 2008

Recipes from Mom: Italian Bread with Garlic Guyere

On a recent trip I took home, I went through the oodles and boxes and swamps and piles and mountains and stacks and days of recipes collected over the last 30 years by my mom and dad. I came away with a couple good ones to try. Here's another one.

Disclaimer: When I picked out this recipe, I did so based solely on the title. I didn't look at the directions or ingredient list. If I had, I probably wouldn't have brought it back with me. But since I'm not one to chide you for not making everything yourself, go ahead and purchase a loaf of Italian bread at the store if that's what's most convenient for you. But I? I will make my own. Because that's how I do.

Italian Bread with Garlic Gruyere

One loaf of Italian bread, store-bought or homemade.
Six tablespoons softened butter
One tablespoon minced parsley
One minced garlic clove
Half a pound shredded Gruyere
Dash of tabasco

Preheat your oven to 350F.

Cut bread in half horizontally. In a bowl, mix butter, parsley, garlic, and tabasco. Spread the mixture on the bottom half of the bread and sprinkle with cheese. Put the top back on and cut into one-inch slices. Then wrap the bread in foil and put in the oven for about ten minutes, until everything is crispy and melty.

Gotta say, I was pretty pleased with this. It was simple and tasty. Perfect.

The boring stuff:
Makes one loaf, about 16 servings.
Difficulty: 1, unless you make the bread yourself, in which case it's a 2 or 3.
Takes 20 minutes, unless you make the bread yourself, in which case it takes longer.



No comments: