Friday, October 10, 2008

Recipes from Mom: Snickerdoodles for Dad

On a recent trip I took home, I went through the oodles and boxes and swamps and piles and mountains and stacks and days of recipes collected over the last 30 years by my mom and dad. I came away with a couple good ones to try. Here's my latest endeavor.

This one I think actually came from Missouri, from the couple who used to live next to my dad. This is my dad's favorite cookie, and I'll master it if it takes me for freaking ever. These were fun to make, but so didn't turn out too well.

One cup soft shortening
One and a half cups of sugar
Two eggs
Two and three-quarters of flour
Two teaspoons cream of tartar
One teaspoon baking soda
Half a teaspoon salt

Thoroughly mix the shortening, sugar, and eggs. Sift together the dry ingredients and mix with the wet stuff. Chill the mixture for three hours. Roll the dough into walnut-sized balls, flatten slightly, and roll in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 400F for six to eight minutes. Don't overbake. Cookie will be soft but firm as it cools. Makes five dozen-ish. I made four dozen, threw half of them away (they burned, and I couldn't get them off the cookie sheet), and sent the other half to my dad. AND I had most of the dough left over for another batch.

Takes half an hour of prep, three hours to chill, plus baking time.
Difficulty: 2.
Makes a ton.

No comments: