Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Stupid Chicken and Rice

Rachel Ray makes me crazy. I find her loud, annoying, and too kitschy-cute for my tastes. Her recipes, though, aren't terrible. But could she be less annoying about naming them? For the life of me, I can't imagine how any self-respecting cook could serve someone something called "You Won't Be Single For Long Pasta." Yeesh. Anyway, this is her recipe, sort of. I did some of my own things, and I'm renaming it. Stupid Chicken and Rice, from stupid RR to you via me.

Stupid Chicken and Rice
(I bought a package of Rice a Roni for my rice portion. Rice is not hard, so do what you need to do to satisfy your rice needs.)
Half a cup of flour
One tablespoon paprika
Four chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
Olive oil
Two tablespoons butter
One onion, diced
Three cloves of garlic, minced
Optional extras: bell peppers, diced tomatoes, mushrooms.

Put the rice on to cook.

Combine flour and paprika in a dish and coat the chicken with it, then season with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and pour olive oil in--enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Brown the chicken on each side (about three minutes each side) and remove from the pan. Add butter to the pan, then saute onions and garlic (and any other veggies you're using) for 5-7 minutes. Add chicken back into the pan, reduce heat, and cover. Cook until chicken is cooked through and rice is ready. (If the pan looks too dry, add in a little chicken broth (no more than a cup) to create a sauce instead of a vegetable garnish/base.) Serve and enjoy.

Takes about a half hour.
Difficulty: 2.
Feeds four.

No comments: